So... plan B: Lion Rampant (or later on, Dragon Rampant). I've picked up the rules, and they seem perfect to me: a few pages, nothing too elaborated, I could even convince my old pal Haekel to play a game or two against my dwarfs, provided I paint his army of course... which gives me a perfect opportunity to change my beard-and-chainmail painting routine.
In Lion Rampant, the recommended size for retinues is 24 points, which means 40 to 60 models to field, grouped in units of 6 or 12. Considering the available units, I see the following equivalencies:
- Hammerers = Foot Men-at-Arms
- Dwarf warriors = Foot Serjeants (possibly upgraded to give them two-handed weapons)
- Slayers = Fierce Foot
- 6 hammerers (including the commander) = 6 pts
- 12 upgraded dwarf warriors with two-handed axes = 6 pts
- 12 dwarf warriors with spears and shields = 4 pts
- 12 slayers = 4 pts
- 12 crossbowmen = 4 pts
So, what's next? Possibly Dwarfs (Renaissance style), or Imperial dwarfs (but with more colours this time), or Chaos dwarfs (the Big Hat ones), or... Chaos dwarfs again (the Marauder ones), or Skaven (Haekel has a weak spot for these little bastards in fur), or Wood Elves, or Dark Elves, or Empire... or Halflings.
With Lion Rampant, it's rather easy to pick a 24-pt retinue... then of course, I need to paint 50 models before starting to play :)